We are in the flu season. Did you know your furry family member can get flu, too? While your dog’s cough can be caused by two types of sources, bacterial or viral, canine flu is a sign of VIRAL infection. It can be highly contagious a usually transmitted by droplets, aerosol or direct contact with other sick dogs.
Symptoms, your canine has flu:
- starts with sneezing
- coughing – dry cough, your dog makes a noise like he is chocking, or hacking away
- clear nasal and/or eye discharge – that can turn to thick and yellow or green
- lethargy and lack of appetite
- rapid and difficult breathing
- fever – normal temperature is between 97.6 – 99.6 F. Be aware if the temperature reaches 106 F, it can be fatal
Treatment for flu can vary, depending on dog’s condition:
- anti-viral medication
- vitamins and minerals
- the balanced diet
- IV fluid
- a warm and quiet place to rest
- antibiotic, if there is secondary, bacterial infection
Home remedies for your furry child:
- homemade chicken soup – to have your dog to eat it better, blend chicken, brown rice and veggie together.
- steam, steam, steam – take your dog to a bathroom for 10-15 minutes, turn the hot water on and close the door. Steam will open nasal sinuses and keep them moist.
- vaporizer – put it in a small room with your dog. You can also add 1-2 drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil (optional), if your pug is ok with it. Don’t leave your pug alone for time being.
- Fluids – add some chicken or beef broth to water.
- Try natural remedies – like HomeoPet Nose Relief, or Snout Sooter
Dog’s flu is not short – lived. Your dog can fight flu for several weeks, usually 10 – 30 days. But if his condition gets worst, he might require antibiotics or even hospitalization.
Hopefully, these information’s will help you to be more aware of dogs flu(and cold), and home remedies help your pug to feel better soon. DON’T EVER GIVE A YOUR DOG YOUR OWN MEDICATION! Some ingredients in human medicine can be very toxic to canine, like Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen or Pseudoephedrine.